BABY REGISTRY IDEAS
As promised, here are the best baby registry ideas I got from my question and answer IG stories a few weeks ago! There were so many replies, with all sorts of stories and reasons on why each mom loved a specific product. I tried to condense it down to the main categories that would work for everyone, and to choose the products and brands that had the majority of mom-backed approvals! I can’t thank you guys enough for all your help with this, it’s so reassuring to get feedback from REAL moms who have been in the trenches with a newborn as opposed to magazine articles that are probably getting paid to push specific brands or products. I was ecstatic to see so many of you agreed on a good number of items, which makes me even more confident in building my registry and deciding what items to buy, which to splurge on, and which to skip. I hope this list helps out any other new moms, or veteran parents just looking for a refresher on what’s out there for baby gear and gadgets.
- STROLLER There were a lot of suggestions for strollers. The best advice I was given was to just go to the stores and test them all out for yourself. We decided on the Demi Grow Nuna stroller (I fell in love with the Nordstrom exclusive color!). I also had a friend tell me to buy something we could grow into-great advice I wouldn’t have even thought about! As soon as I started strolling around Nordstrom with the Nuna, it all just hit me that in a few short months we’re going to have a baby boy with us. I started to tear up, and knew this was the stroller I wanted. (Cheesy, but true!) Smooth, classy, and the perfect color for baby boy (or girl down the road!). We also registered for the bassinet attachment you can buy here. Other contenders and suggestions were Stokke, Uppababy, Buggaboo Bee, Yoyo, and Quinny/Rachel Zoe. Although, I did have one mom say her Uppababy Cruz had problems with the wheels getting stuck a lot so that’s something to consider.
- CAR SEAT Once we decided on the Nuna Stroller, we took a look at their carseats and really liked this one that matched our stroller. It’s great because if baby is sleeping in the carseat in the car, you don’t have to make the switch from carseat to stroller and risk waking them up. You just clip in the carseat to the stroller base, and off you go! Again, we got the Nordstrom exclusive color, I’m just so in love with it! Other suggestions from the mom tribe included the Maxi Cosi Micro Max 30 Car Seat, and the Uppababy Mesa Car Seat.
- CRIB Our house won’t be done until next Spring at the earliest, so I’ve really been trying to keep all baby items to a minimum until we have a proper nursery in the house. Babies typically sleep in your room next to your bed for the newborn stage, so we decided to hold off on a crib and focus on something that would work well for next to our bed. I’ve heard so many good things about the Halo – mostly online articles and other bloggers, but after we looked at it, it just seemed flimsy and not super high quality for the price. Just our first impression, but we decided to look at other options. Once we found the Baby Delight, I loved how the side of it could zip down so you could easily get baby in and out of it without a struggle when lying in bed. It’s a lower price point as well, so we are excited about this one and will have to update you guys on what we think of it!
- CLOTHES Target was above and beyond the most suggested store for baby boy clothes on my Instagram stories. My favorite store that was left in the comments was Janie and Jack. I love that their style is not cotton candy baby colors, and more like miniature kid clothes in newborn and baby sizes. So adorable!! Of course, you can never go wrong with Nordstrom, I picked out this baby jacket and these camo pants in seconds of browsing online. I know he’ll outgrow this stuff so fast, but it’s just SO CUTE!! Other boutiques worth mentioning are Little Me, Loulou Lollipop, and Spearmint Love.
- OWLET My cousin and his wife just had their first baby this year, and baby girl started off in the NICU. They said once they were finally able to take baby girl home with them, that the Owlet was a life saver for peace of mind and safety with their new baby. It’s basically a sock that tells you if baby stops breathing, has an abnormal heart rate, etc. If oxygen levels or heart rate drop below your preset level, it will notify the base unit and make a sound and light up to alert you. If all is well, the base will have a green light. She said they actually used the owlet in the NICU to monitor the babies, so you know it’s good! I’ve obviously never had a newborn before, but I remember all of my new mom friends telling me that the scariest part about bringing baby home for the first few weeks/months was wondering if they were ok, still breathing or just peacefully sleeping. Even if your baby skips the NICU and heads straight home with you, I can imagine this would be a great way to make your first weeks/months with baby much more calm and stress free!
- SOLLY BABY WRAP Sure, there’s tons of baby wrap brands out there, but this one is supposed to be the softest and coziest! I had a lot of moms suggest this one to me, and one of my favorite moms noticed I forgot to add it to my registry and reached out to me to see which color I’d like! She’s the best 😀 All the moms who suggested this said they used it daily, so I definitely want one that’s super comfortable for me and for baby boy.
- ERGO OMNI 360 Chris was so excited for this one. I let him pick out the color (he decided on this one) because more than likely he’ll be using the Omni, and I’ll be using the Solly Baby Wrap most of the time. My heart just melts when I think of him carrying his little mini-me in this thing- just the cutest thing ever!
- NOISE MACHINE We got this one a lot too, the top two brands being THIS ONE off Amazon, and the Dohm Sleep white noise machine. I didn’t end up adding this to our registry, but it’s on our short list of things that we may decide we absolutely need after baby is here. I told my sister Kristin, I’m sure there will be things we thought we could do without that we’ll be ordering off Amazon at 3am because we are at our losing our minds and desperate haha. This could easily be one of them!
- DOCKATOT If I just saw this being advertised, I would probably skip right past it. However, when we lived in California two of our neighbors both had baby boys within weeks of each other and they both raved about the Dockatot. They heard about it from their mom friends, who had heard it from their own mom friends, and so on and so forth. Word of mouth people, my favorite way to get real feedback about a product! I had so many baby showers that year, and every time we decided to buy the parents-to-be the Dockatot- even though none of them had it on their list lol (I know I know- ‘stick to the list, always stick to the list!!’ haha) I was glad to know that they all seem to LOVE it, and use it all the time. Safe to say this was the very first thing I added to by registry. They have so many more prints available now than they did last year, but I still love the marble one linked above.
- ZIPPADEE-ZIP These “flying squirrel” swaddles were recommended by almost everyone!! I’ve seen them on other bloggers lists, but it’s good to know all my real moms swear by them too! Baby is still swaddled, but is able to move their arms up. Apparently in a normal swaddle, they start to outgrow liking their arms down by their side, so they start to fuss and wake themselves up. When I looked into these, I found that it was actually a product on Shark Tank! I love that kind of stuff- a small family business who invented a product because they needed it, and then decided to create a company out of it!
- HIGH CHAIR Once we are in our house, I’m still trying to keep all the baby gear to the bare necessities as best as we can. This includes the high chair, which led me to finding the Inglesina highchair that snaps onto your kitchen counter. Our house will have a huge kitchen island, and I see us gathered there for meals, cooking, etc. so it will be the perfect place for baby boy (and future babies!) to hang out and eat without missing out on all the action. A friend of mine said she loves hers, and they use it for traveling too which I didn’t even think about. Chris and I plan on being as mobile as possible with baby boy- taking weekend trips etc. so that really made me happy to hear that. Anything that’s multifunctional is a win for us!
- MILK SNOB Nursing Cover and Carseat Cover. Another Shark Tank product! Again, this one wins for having multi-use and functionality. You can use it as a cover for breastfeeding, which I will obviously need all the time. You can also use it as a wrap around your baby’s carseat or stroller to protect them from the elements (wind, cold, etc), keep them from getting distracted or woken up if they are napping, or- quite possibly the best reason I was given by one of my trusted mom friends- it acts as a deterrent to strangers coming up and touching or kissing (?!?!?) the baby without permission. SOLD! I’ll take ten please lol. Chris is even more of a germaphobe than me, so I can imagine him not leaving the house without this around baby boy’s car seat now haha.
- STROLLER ACCESSORIES A few good suggestions that came along with the stroller question I asked on IG- Stroller Hook and Stroller accessories bag.
- DIAPER BAG This one, admittedly, has taken me the longest to find (still deciding which one of my faves to get). Having a career in fashion, I knew I never wanted to have the typical baby print, pastel colored, puffy diaper bag. I assumed when I got pregnant I would just re-purpose an old tote back and add in my own pockets, etc. to transform it into what I needed. After a little research (and then Instagram spamming me with ads) I found a ton of brands that have sleek, classy designs. They look like normal tote bags but have all the functionality of a diaper bag. I haven’t committed to one just yet, but so far my favorites include: Olly and Owl, Grey Fox and Company, Freshly Picked, and Fawn Design. I should also mention that I had two moms suggest getting a cute large clutch that can hold 1-2 diapers, ziplock with some wipes, extra onesie, and any other odds and ends so you can just grab that if you have to run into a store with baby instead of lugging the entire bag with you each time. Love this idea! I’m all about efficiency!
- LITTLE NOMAD PLAYMAT This is another one we are holding off on for now until we have our house. Since we don’t want to store anything that baby won’t be immediately be using I kept it off my registry, but fully plan on snagging one of these playmats once we move into our home. I love that the patterns are classy and pretty- they look more like a nice rug than a baby play mat.
- CRANE HUMIDIFIER This one was suggested to me by my close mom friend. She said she didn’t even register for hers, another parent gifted it to her on their own but it ended up being a lifesaver for her! Her baby boy slept so much better once they started using it, so I decided to add this to mine too! The crane humidifier comes in different shapes and colors, of course you know I opted for the most simple and basic design lol Can you spot a theme yet??
- LITTLE GIRAFFE BLANKET These are adorable and soooo soft! I always see them at Nordstrom and other boutiques, and knew once we got pregnant this blanket was going on my registry! It’s a little more expensive than other blankets but it’s SO. SO. SOFT. I kind of want one for myself! lol
Photos by: Kristin Dustman Photography
Dress: Vestique (only available in stores, almost identical HERE )
Grey Cami Crop Top: Nordstrom (old, buy similar HERE )
Purse: Kate Spade (buy it HERE)