It started with pancakes. My husband and I wanted some Whole30 approved breakfast meals that would satisfy our weekend brunch tastebuds, so we followed the pancake recipe on the back of the Bob’s Red Mills Almond Meal and they turned out fantastic. Drizzle a little date syrup on there, some fresh berries and deliciousness naturally follows. We loved them so much we decided to make an ‘on-the-go’ version for the work week ahead.
Whole30 Chocolate Banana Muffin Recipe
Chris had the brilliant idea to bake the batter into muffins, and voila! We had a grab and go breakfast. Next thing you know, Chris decides to get all fancy and spruce up the recipe with some cocoa powder, date syrup and some protein powder to make an unbelievably delicious, healthy breakfast ‘treat’! This literally tastes like chocolate cake for breakfast, but without the sugar crash or guilt from actually eating chocolate cake for breakfast.
I decided to add some strawberry heart toppers because why the heck not?! (Just be sure to eat the muffins same day if you choose to go that route) Otherwise these muffins will keep for almost a week in an airtight container. We like to use our cake stand so they are ready to grab off the counter in a morning hurry if needed. Plus, cake-stands are amazing and make your kitchen look like a magazine. So talented, those cake-stands. 😀
Now I know you technically aren’t supposed to bake desserts on Whole30, but since this is now our lifestyle and not a 30 day diet I’m totally all for it. As long as the ingredient list is clean, I say go for it! Plus, you guys….it tastes SO GOOOOD. I can’t say no just because of a technicality. Life’s too short for that nonsense.
I was ecstatic to learn that cocoa powder is actually really good for you. Just be sure to buy 100% cocoa powder with no added sugar or natural flavorings- definitely check your labels because all brands are not the same. Also, if you’ve never made date syrup, don’t worry because it is so incredibly easy to do. Simply blend 10 dates with 1 cup of water in the Vitamix or blender. Adjust water/date ratio if needed to get desired syrup consistency.
Get the recipe below:
- 2 cups Bob's Mill Almond Meal (you can also use Hazelnut, same brand)
- 1/4 cup protein powder (we use vegan brand 'Warrior Food Extreme', Vanilla Plus)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder (must be 100% cocoa only)
- 3 eggs
- 2 mashed bananas
- 1/8 cup date syrup (add more or less depending on taste preferences)
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- In a large bowl, mix together all of the 'dry' ingredients.
- In a separate bowl, mash the bananas. Then add in the other 'wet' ingredients and mix thoroughly.
- Combine the 'wet' and 'dry' ingredients into one bowl, and whisk together until batter is evenly combined.
- Pour the batter into a muffin pan. You can either use muffin cup liners, or spray the pan with non-stick spray. (I did half and half so you can see the difference in the photos)
- Bake at 375 for 25 minutes if making big muffins (like I did for this post, makes about 7). If you bake smaller muffins, bake for 20 minutes- yields about 10.
- While muffins are baking, use this time to create strawberry hearts if desired.
- Once muffins are done cooking, gently press the strawberries into the top of the muffin.
- Allow to cool for at least 10 minutes, then enjoy!!
- If using strawberries, consume muffins same day. If not, muffins will last almost a week in an airtight container.
Latte: Green Door Coffee (Grand opening June 15th!)
Tip: We’ve also substituted the Almond Meal with Hazelnut, and it was equally delicious! I had a blonde moment at the grocery store one day and grabbed the wrong bag, but it turned out great! Now we switch back and forth between the two to give some variety in flavor.
Hope you enjoy these ‘treats’ as much as I do! Let me know if any of you are making Whole30 part of your lifestyle, and if you have any favorite recipes!
Pssst! Bonus: Gigi New York is having a huge Friends and Family sale!!
Use the CODE: FRIENDS16
To get 15% sitewide!!! Hurry, this sale lasts until Sunday, June 11th!!